Monday, April 29, 2013

Have you ever put the Cart before the Horse when it comes to music?

When was the last time you've seen a musical act without knowing the material they were to preform?  Rarely do I have this experience, but when I do there's something magical about it.

Let me explain.

I'm a big fan of Diana Krall. - have been since her 1999 album "When I look Into Your Eyes".  A concert of hers has always been at the top of my 'bucket list' .  By the time her "Look of Love" album came out she became world renown.

I always thought it near impossible to see her perform. 

But then one night - really late one night, I was scrolling through my Twitter timeline and was gobsmacked to see a concert announcement for Krall at the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium.  I'm rarely an impulse buyer, but there I was at almost 4am throwing my credit card info at the computer as quickly as possible to get two seats.

Months later, there I was - in the thick of it.  The TBCA was jam packed.  The vibe of the house was buzzing in anticipation to the point of being electric.  Was Diana Krall really in Thunder Bay?

So now a confession I must make at this moment - I didn't know Krall had a new album out.

I had two months before the concert and I was torn with a dilemma  Do I simply purchase the new album, listen , evaluate and get excited to hear it played live? Or do I go in blind? Intentionally?

Intentionally was the decision. And here is why:

When I was tween, my favorite hangout was Crocks n Rolls. It was the 'alternative music club' back in the 90's.  Almost any night there was a band playing.  Many a night it was someone I had never heard of.  Many a night I would purchase a CD.  The magic being that when I listened to that CD, the live performance was automatically the visual in my head.  Almost the reverse of how a soundtrack works.

If I hear a song from one of those bands from way back when, the magic is  - I'm transported back to Crocks n Rolls.  Flashes of memories flood back with the music and I can see the band preforming. I can remember if they had a crazy lights show, or weird stage props, or if there was a mosh pit.

It is for that reason I went in blind to see Diana Krall back in February.

As I write this, I'm listening to that album.  The vivid imagery is flooding parts of my brain.

I can remember the snow falling in the parking lot. I can remember the stage lit and decorated in all its vaudeville glory.  Steve Buschemi on the film screen doing the introduction.  Diana Krall taking a break in the performance to take 3 audience requests. The third was mine (East of the Sun).  She heard me and played East of the Sun. For me.

It was a truly special concert performance me.  A bucket list item checked off the list.

Now every time I listen to this album, these are the memories that are triggered.

That is the power and magic of music. It is a sense. And when you engage your senses to the fullest and are present in the moment, those memories are married to the music.

After that - all it takes is a sound clip to retrieve it.  Even many many years later.

It will be comforting when I'm old and grey to be able to recall my entire life with the simplicity of playing a bit of music from my past. 

I know I won't forget that special performance that one snowy night in Thunder Bay.

Ever.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Seasonal Patios

Dunlop St. Barrie, Ontario There's been some discussion about possibly making Red River Road one way in the Entertainment District t...