Saturday, April 18, 2020

Fly Fishing - Day 1


I don't know what's come over me.  I feel the need to fish for Steelhead.  I started down the rabbit hole of river fishing.  It's mid-April and the talk of Steelies running soon is making it's way to me through all the pandemic chatter.  Is this a path to escape?

I'm going to journal my first season fishing for Steelhead.  Now I'm not certain - but Steelheads are Rainbows.  But not oceanic.  Freshwater.  So these Rainbow Trout live in the Great Lakes and spawn in the spring upriver?  I'm sure I'll learn more about this as the season continues.  It will last according to some about 4 weeks. 

The issue this year in 2020 is that it's much colder than usual.  So many are saying the start is very slow.   I guess that's good for me as I was concerned I may have already missed it.

I've picked my spot - a river system near my home.  It's a block away.  In the middle of the city.  I am grateful that I can in short order, grab my gear, park my car, and walk maybe 5 minutes upstream.

I've explored this area before either photographing or mountain biking.  It just screams 'woodland'.  I brought my camera as I usually do on any type of outing.  You never know what you're going to find and want to capture.  Like this keyboard/piano that I found on the trail.  Legend has it some university students through it in the man-made lake upriver years ago.  It's been slowly making its way downstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Seasonal Patios

Dunlop St. Barrie, Ontario There's been some discussion about possibly making Red River Road one way in the Entertainment District t...