Sunday, April 19, 2020

Fly Fishing - Day 2

I remember when I was a boy the tales of steelhead fishing in the local rivers.  If I recall, a hockey teammate of mine had pulled a big fish out near the dam.  He would have been 12 maybe.  That fish must have felt like a shark.  It always stuck with me anytime I'd bike past that area. 

Now many many years later I've got the time and motivation to give it a go.  I've been doing some research and scoping out the local streams and rivers.  It's now getting late into April and this is when the Steelhead is supposed to start their runs.

The Neebing river is way to busy.  A straight trench of a riverwith anglers exactly a rod's length apart.  We are amidst a pandemic andthe government has some pretty stringent rules for social distancing.  This site will be one to remember.   

So I chose to hit the river near the university.  Unlike the 'trench' this water system is picturesque.  Under a canopy of forest runs a rapid filled twisty and bendy water flow.  The rushing water is hypnotic and there are very few anglers around. 


I try throwing my line in a few times in a few spots that have been talked about.  It begins to snow. It's getting cold.  I come up empty.  However, I am full of joy.  This solitude in nature is a wonderful prescription to the uncertainty that shrouds our everyday life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Seasonal Patios

Dunlop St. Barrie, Ontario There's been some discussion about possibly making Red River Road one way in the Entertainment District t...