Thursday, April 23, 2020

Fly Fishing Day 4


Day four of fishing for steelhead. This is my 2nd day out with my new Red Wolf Fly Fishing Rod purchased from Canadian Tire. I've already lost one hook his morning. I will get a new fly on now quickly as I'm becoming proficient at the Non-Slip Loop Knot.  It's the silver lining I can find from loosing too many hooks recently.

I'm starting to analyze the pattern of the river and how my fly line is interacting with the current.  I think I'm in a really good spot. It's a 7:00 a.m. on a workday but I figured I'd try and get out and take a peek. 

So far I am the only one here. Another gentleman came down the bank about 20 minutes ago but he headed upstream, so I still have this spot to myself.  It's downriver from the road bridge.  There is a small shoal that separates the river.  There is a nice little pool right in front of it.  I've seen many people fishing this spot

It's a pretty peaceful morning to be fly fishing before I login to work.  The skies are overcast. The birds are chirping. There's no wind which is as of late has been blowing cold from the North. 

If I don't' catch anything here on day 4 I won't be discouraged. I relish the motivation this red Wolf fishing rod has injected me with.  I have a new purpose to get up first thing in the morning and just get out into nature and get some of that fresh air and just be still. Present. It is really nice.

When immersing myself into a new hobby/sport I feel like I'm part of some sort of new tribe. I now have the proper gear and it feels nice to be involved in another section of humanity.  The one that strives for peace in life. The isolation. The stillness.  I classify myself as mostly introverted.  This is so appealing.  

With that mindset, hopefully, all this patience pays off with some frantic action of reeling in a giant fish.   I am so fortunate that this river just happens to be 2 blocks from where I live.  The prospect of being able to get up and just drive a very short distance to get into this state of mind I think it's pretty phenomenal.  

I'm not upset that I didn't discover this years ago. I think life is all about new things and new adventures. So I think is quite timely at this point in my life to adopt this new pastime.

I'm really enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Seasonal Patios

Dunlop St. Barrie, Ontario There's been some discussion about possibly making Red River Road one way in the Entertainment District t...