Friday, February 28, 2020

How to get buttery smooth slow motion B roll


I've been working on my little film projects and I think I've finally nailed down the right settings to get some nice silky smooth slow motion b-roll!.   Here's the secret sauce - although I'm sure it's not that much of a secret.  I'm just glad to share my findings:


  1. shoot your footage in 60fps
  2. import into your editor but make sure the timeline is set to 24fps
  3. trim your clips
  4. select them and change the video speed by using the value 40%
That's it - 40% seems to be that nice sweet spot to slow down the footage as much as possible before it starts 'jittering' which I believe is the editor adding frames.

Bonus Tip for the cinematic black bars:

In Davinci simply head up to 'timeline' and near the bottom is output blanking - choose 2.39.  There's other options too if you want 4:3 etc. 

Here's a little montage of myself and some fellow photographer friends stomping around in the snow trying to get some nice images near the lakeshore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Seasonal Patios

Dunlop St. Barrie, Ontario There's been some discussion about possibly making Red River Road one way in the Entertainment District t...